Monday, February 18, 2008

A Time with a Student

I had a chance to sit down and talk a little while with one of the male students. I was looking to interview a variety of students for the sake of this blog, so he was the first one I talked to. Within the first two minutes, he exposed the struggles in his life to me. Dave's message struck a chord deep within him, and it was something he needed to hear (and wrestle with).

Today at Seven Springs I got a chance to talk with him a little more. Hearing about the situations in his life (life changes, friend changes, social situation changes, etc.) the silence that he felt was palpable. What words could I offer someone that was so deeply crying out for God to only feel the quiet silence greeting him?

There is no easy answer for students who are going through these hard times. But as I reflected on my time with him, I realized that there is a distinct silence in my own life right now. To be able to share that with him meant a lot to me as well. I don't know why God is silent in his life right now, I don't know why God is letting him go through the things he is going through. But I have to believe that God has a reason for it. And I know that he believes that too. He just wishes that God was a little more clear about it.

Dave played this song for us, and it was incredibly powerful.

My Wordless Prayer
My words lie still and lifeless as dust upon the sand,
I can no longer voice one request or demand,

My cup of tears is empty, I can no loner cry,

My lips have fallen silent, my prayer is but a sigh.

Spirit come and rest Your ear upon my heart,

O come and hear my wordless prayer,

my silent plea and take them far away from me.

Take them from this heart of mine to the Father’s heart divine,

Speak in tones unknown to man that God may hear and understand.
My voice is weak from calling to You both night and day.
How long will You be silent? Why do You turn away?
Spirit, come and rest Your ear upon my heart;
Come and hear my wordless prayer,
my silent plea and take them far away from me.
Take them from this heart of mine to the Father’s heart divine.

Speak in tones unknown to man that God may hear and under stand.

No comments: