Saturday, February 16, 2008

here and starting to gear up

This is my second Winter Retreat as an adult volunteer and what amazes me each time is how the Senior High staff has organized the process of rest stops. With 230 students descending upon one rest stop at the same time we managed to pull in and out within 20 minutes. I was on the first bus to enter the rest stop and as the doors opened there stood a man and mop. The area looked spotless and his job had been well done. He moved off to the side as we passed him to enter the very clean restrooms (cleanest I’ve ever seen in at a rest area!) and I did not see him again. I can’t imagine what went through his mind as he saw our huge group enter into the hard work he had just done! Hopefully we left it in a good condition.

We need to give a shout out to our bus drivers. When we arrived at the camp there were some areas of ice for them to navigate. They backed up the buses, made it slowly over the ice and got us unloaded. It’s like a football team headed toward the goal line and having an attack play. As each bus backed into the drive area they encouraged each other through the CB and described each move to the bus driver who was backing up. I need this kind of team when parallel parking!

This morning was rough for everyone to wake up. I give such credit to you parents who wake up these teenagers each morning! As I attempted to wake up some of my girls who wanted to shower before the morning I started to whisper, “Wake up,” and realized this approach wasn’t going to work so I had to tap and speak normally. I’m sure this is an every morning occurrence for you parents with more than speaking to wake them up!

On the ride here we watched Evan Almighty. There was one line in the movie that seemed perfect to set up this weekend. Evan is talking to God and he says something to the likes of “This wasn’t in my plan.” God responds by laughing and responding, “Your plan!?”

As we approach this weekend with the Can You Hear Me theme that scene rings in my mind. Why does it seem for so many of us that God isn’t responding to what we’re asking, what we’re wanting to do to serve Him or what we have in OUR plans?

We’re ready to HEAR you this weekend Lord…

No comments: